Awards ceremonies for augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) are nothing new. It seems that almost every year another organisation is clamouring to offer their congratulations to what they think is the ‘best VR experience/game’ of the year, despite the relative youth of the industry. However, every so often a new awards campaign begins that presents something unique, and this year that is the NEWVIEW Awards.
NEWVIEW is a joint project from Psychic VR Lab, PARCO and Loftwork. Debuting in 2018, NEWVIEW was designed as an experimental project for the development of new experiences in three dimensional space. Earlier this year the project launched an art school offering participants the chance to create content using emerging technologies with the simple concept of ‘design your ultra experience’, which loosely translates as an opportunity to let your imagination run wild with emerging technologies.
The NEWVIEW Awards, taking place tomorrow, 14th December 2019, Tokyo, Japan, has been launched with the aim of discovering and nurturing the next generation of creators within this remit: celebrating the movement of expression from 2D content development into the new worlds permitted by spatial computing.
145 submissions have been received for the NEWVIEW Awards 2019, of which a selection of 25 were selected to move through to the final judging round. All of the submissions were created using Psychic VR Lab’s STYLY, a cloud-based development platform for VR. Psychic VR Lab has held various showcases of this content available for the public to experience throughout the latter months of 2019. The nominees are as follows:
- Absences of life by wakuwa / Japan
- C’est la vie, SHOGYO-MUJO by Saki Takegawa / Japan
- Piece of String by Wyatt Roy / US
- VR Manga World for STYLY by Aki Oe / Japan
- The Pit by Dave Maggio / US / Japan
- ne.mui by Natuki Ono / Japan
- The 23-year-old confession by Wong Hoi Ian / Taiwan
- MODAL by Ryo Takekawa / Japan
- The Tower of Babel by 525600min / Japan
- Define Float by takafumi oyama / Japan
- TSUKUMO by Keisuke Ito / Japan
- Takkun Museum by Takkun / Japan
- Merging Memories by Kenichiro Hirai / Japan
- THE CUBE by Nao Ito / Japan
- VR Glitch by 5hamburgs Mayu / Japan
- Her Tranquil Day by Q＆A PROJECT / Japan
- CocoTsuki VRMV – Android Girl – by CocoTsuki Project（CocoTsuki）/ Japan
- ORgeL by Mask du Video / Japan
- Transparent Planet – Mika Maruyama / Japan
- INTERSUBJECTIVITY by God Scorpian / Japan
- Many sides by C / Japan
- Dark Room by Yuuki Matsuoka / Japan
- (SILVER COLORED) WATET TANK by Discont / Japan
- REMINISCENCE – The Recollection of a Man by TeamMIKAMI (from OMNIBUS JAPAN) / Japan
- Digital Bonsai [Ko chuu Sya] -Social in a pottery by Ginga Kondo / Japan
The final three selected artworks will be awarded a silver prize of $5,000 USD with one awarded the gold prize of $20,000. There will also be several other awards handed out during the event, taking place tomorrow night. Psychic VR Lab is looking to increase participation in 2020 with many new opportunities for content creators across the globe, to find out more head to https://styly.cc.
Kevin Joyce was been working with immersive technology since 2013, establishing VRFocus.com as one of the leading AR and VR publications before joining Admix, a non-intrusive advertising platform designed specifically for immersive experiences, as Lead Evangelist.